Monday, August 13, 2012

Solotica Hidrocor Mel Review

Possibly the most popular color in the Solotica line, Hidrocor Mel is a green semi-opaque lens that has a yellow tint, thus giving it the name mel which means honey in Portuguese. The effect of the yellow lens gives a green effect over light to dark brown eyes. 



LENS INFO

WATER CONTENT: 38%
DIAMETER: 14.2 mm
BASE CURVE: 8.7
EXPIRATION: Annual

DESIGN & NATURALNESS: 8/10

These has very fine pixels that blend extremely well with the natural iris color and it appears natural looking. The only problem I have with this lenses is how they look in daylight. The pupil hole is quite large, possibly 5 mm, and my natural brown iris show through when I'm outside. For that reason, I choose to wear these at night when my pupils are dilated. When I wear these at night, these look almost 100% like my natural eyes! The fact that they look fake in daylight led me to knock off a point or two. Another issue would be that the lens is almost too small for my iris size and makes my eyes look smaller than usual. For this reason I will not repurchase them after they expire.

COLOR: 8/10

Since my eyes are a very dark shade of brown, they are not as bright as they would be on a person with lighter eyes, but I think the effect I get is quite natural. For me, the color is a light-medium green with occasional grayness which I do not mind. Keep in mind these are semi-opaque, so they will blend and work with the natural color of your eyes, and will not make them too bright (which is a good thing in terms of naturalness.) These do deliver a dramatic color change though.

COMFORT: 6/10

The major drawback is the comfort level of the Mels. The lens itself is thicker than a normal lens, and as with thicker lenses, it affects how comfortable they are. I find that using eye drops is necessary.

SHIPPING: 7/10

The site I ordered from is located in Brazil, and took approximately three weeks to arrive to Southern California. They shipped after exactly one week, and took two weeks to make its way here. I am assuming that customs is to blame for some of it. All in all, besides being anxious for them to arrive, shipping time is really not bad at all. Their customer service is also okay.

OVERALL: 7/10

I would totally recommend these lenses! They cost $85.20 US plus about another $20 for shipping. A bit pricey but worth it.

Click here to go to the website from where I purchased my lenses, or click here to go directly to the lenses.




And here are the pictures!
Sunlight + Flash
Sunlight, no flash
Flash + daylight from window
Florescent bathroom lighting. See the tiny pixels?
Indoor Flash
Thanks for stopping by!



No comments:

Post a Comment